Doctors should be there to help you – but a medical error can cause serious injury or death
When we are hurt or not feeling well, we put our health and our lives into the hands of hospitals, doctors, and other medical professionals. We trust them to heal us, to take away our pain, and protect us from future harm. But all too often a visit to the doctor, emergency room, or operating room can lead to further complications, new injuries, and even death.
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, over 225,000 people die each year in the United States because of preventable medical errors like unnecessary surgery, avoidable infections, medication errors, and surgical mistakes. JAMA estimates that these medical errors cost America an estimated $29 billion each year in medical costs, ongoing disabilities, lost wages, and loss of household production.
On a more personal level, each of the thousands of New York families that are affected by medical malpractice each year face financial hardship, high health care costs, emotional distress, and pain and suffering. In the cases in which medical errors were caused by carelessness or negligence, these families deserve compensation for what they have been through and what they have lost.
Was your doctor, nurse, emergency room, or hospital careless and negligent in your care?
At David B. Lever & Associates, we are committed to helping the victims of New York medical malpractice secure damages for their injuries and suffering – and to make sure that the same medical errors do not harm other patients in the future. We take on a wide range of medical malpractice cases, including but not limited to:
• Birth injuries and cerebral palsy cases. The birth of your son or daughter can be complicated by medical mistakes such as a failure to deliver by C-section, failure to respond to fetal distress, asphyxia at birth, failure to monitor fetal heart rate, and misuse of forceps or vacuum extractor.
• Heart attack, stroke, and aneurysm medical malpractice cases. Heart attacks and strokes can be even more deadly if your doctor or emergency room fails to treat your conditions appropriately, misdiagnoses you, or misreads lab results.
• Cancer medical malpractice cases. When patients have cancer, it is vital that doctors respond quickly and aggressively – but those suffering from cancer could have their chances of survival lowered by a failure to diagnose, a failure to act on lab results, surgical errors, and other instances of medical malpractice.
• Joint reconstruction mistakes. Errors made during a knee replacement, hip replacement, or other joint replacement surgery could be caused by surgical mistakes or defective medical devices.
• Nursing home abuse and neglect. Unfortunately, many New York nursing home residents suffer from neglect and abuse from nursing home nurses, staffers, and even other residents. Adult care residents could suffer needlessly from bedsores, malnutrition, physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse and over medication.
• Medication errors. Patients can suffer extreme harm if they are given an overdose of medication, an incorrect medication, or a dangerous combination of drugs. Other medication errors involve doctors prescribing a medicine that the patient is allergic to.
• Unnecessary surgery. More surgeries take place now than ever before – and many are not needed or carry too great a risk to the patient. Some unnecessary surgeries arise from a misdiagnosis, while others are simply poor treatment choices.
• Delayed diagnosis or misdiagnosis. When you are sick or hurting, time is of the essence. A delayed diagnosis, misdiagnosis, or missed diagnosis can delay treatment for the patient or cause the patient to undergo the wrong treatment for their condition.
• Medical malpractice wrongful death cases. In the most serious NYC medical malpractice cases, a patient will die as a result of a medical error such as those mentioned above. In these instances, we can assist the families of the victim seeking compensation for their tragic loss.
A New York medical malpractice attorney can help you find justice
Struggling with an illness, medical condition, or injury is extremely difficult – don’t try to struggle with your medical malpractice case alone. Located in White Plains, New York, David B. Lever & Associates can help you compile evidence for your medical error case, guide you through the legal process, and ultimately help you get the compensation that you deserve. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.
David B. Lever & Associates is located in White Plains, New York and serves clients throughout the state, including New York City’s five boroughs (The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Island) as well as Westchester County, Rockland County and Long Island.
Additional Cities: Yonkers, Port Chester, Scarsdale, New Rochelle, Peekskill, Rye, Mount Kisco, Bedford, Eastchester, Mount Vernon, Mount Pleasant, Pelham, Ossining, Greenburgh, New City, Spring Valley, Pearl River.
Additional Counties: Orange County, Dutchess County, Putnam County.